Focus Word: metamorphosis
- Introduce the week’s theme and focus word by adding them to the Learning Board
- Read: Bugs Are Insects by Anne Rockwell
|Insect Song Original Author Unknown
Sung to: “The Wheels on the Bus”
The firefly at night goes blink blink blink
The bees in the flowers go buzz buzz buzz….
- Review last week’s color, letter, number, rhyme
- Craft: http://learncreatelove.com/ladybug-craft/
- Review the week’s theme and focus word and last week’s letter, number, and rhyme
- This week we are going to start to make our Shape Book. Today we will work with a circle. After reading today’s story, review what a circle looks like. Go on a shape hunt, to find circles in your environment. Then, show your child the circle page. Ask them what they will create using their circle. Examples: a clock, a ball. Have fun and save this page. We will put all of the pages together to create a book.
- Read: Round Is a Tortilla: A Book of Shapes by Roseanne Thong
- Review the week’s theme, focus word, and last week’s number and rhyme
- Read: I Love Bugs! by Emma Dodd
- Introduce the letter Ww by adding the picture to the Learning Board
- Show your child a few items that start with the letter Ww
- Go on a Letter Hunt. Look around the house for the letter Ww on food containers, books, movies, etc. Carry this through the week by looking for the letter while you are out and about. Look at billboards, at the mall, etc.
- Add the letter Ww to your child’s letter books.
- Craft: http://learncreatelove.com/luna-moth-printable-craft/ their is also a video about luna moths
- Review the week’s theme, focus word, letter (Ww), and last week’s rhyme
- Read: Buzz by Eileen Spinelli
- Introduce the number four by adding twenty-four dots and the numeral 24 to an index card.
- Add the number card to the Learning Board.
- Show your child 24 of several different items.
- Craft: http://learncreatelove.com/printable-bumblebee-craft/
- Review the week’s theme, focus word, letter (Ww), and number (24)
- Read: The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
- Introduce the nursery rhyme Jack Sprat by adding it to the Learning Board
- Craft: http://learncreatelove.com/laminate-butterfly-craft/
Jack Sprat by Mother Goose
Jack Sprat could eat no fat.
His wife could eat no lean.
And so between them both, you see,
They licked the platter clean.
Alphabet letters to color and alphabet flash cards for the learning board http://www.first-school.ws/theme/alphabetp7.htm
Number coloring pages http://www.fisher-price.com/en_US/gamesandactivities/coloringpages/index.html
Additional Craft Ideas
-these are great resources and your child may enjoy look through them
- BUGS!: Ants by Kristin Petrie
- BUGS!: Flies by Kristin Petrie
- BUGS!: Grasshoppers by Kristin Petrie
- Bugs: Firefly by Lynn Kuntz
- Little Kids First Big Book of Bugs by Catherine D. Hughes (National Geographic KiDS)