- What is salt’s effect on ice?
- What is going to happen to the ice when we add the salt?
- What is going to happen to the food coloring? Will it stay on top?
These are the questions I asked the girls before and during our experiment. They knew the salt would melt the ice but they were not sure what would happen with the food coloring until we waited a few minutes and let the salt start to work.
This is a simple and interactive experiment!
- Fill a loaf pan with water and freeze over night
- Run the pan under warm water to loosen the ice block and turn into a sided dish
- Sprinkle kosher salt over the top of the ice block
- Allow the salt to sit for 1-2 minutes
- Place droplets of food coloring over the top of the block
- Wait and watch what happens to the ice and the food coloring
- Check your sculpture after 5 and 10 minutes to notice how the ice block has changed. Where did the food coloring go?